Monday, August 25, 2008

Stockholm Syndrome

First off. I want to apologize for taking so long to write my article. Since my vacation article it seems almost as if I went on another vacation... I wish!
So, on with the show!

After my 46 year old son left my home on a Friday morning 2:30 a.m. under the influence of alcohol, I knew this article needed to address this topic. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is my source of clinical information.

Wikipedia: The term Stockholm Syndrome was coined by the criminologist and psychiatrist Nils Bejerot, who assisted the police during a robbery and referred to the syndrome in a news broadcast. The syndrome is named after the Normalstorg robbery of KreditBanken at Norrmalstorg, Stockholm, Sweden in which the bank robbers held employees hostage from August 23 to August 28, 1973. In this case, the victims became emotionally attached to their oppressors and even defended them after they were freed from the six-day ordeal.

Stockholm Syndrome: Loyalty to a more powerful abuser - in spite of the danger that this loyalty puts the victim in danger. It is common amongst victims of domestic abuse, battered partners and child abuse (dependent children). In many instances the victims choose to remain loyal to their abuser and choose not to leave him or her even when they are offered a safe placement in foster homes or safe houses. This mental phenomenon is also known as Trauma - Bonding or Bonding - to- the - Perpetrator. This syndrome was described by psychoanalysts of the object relations theory school as the phenomenon of psychological identification with the more powerful abuser. A variant of Stockholm Syndrome includes cases of abusive parents and abusive siblings in which the victim even after entering adulthood still justifies the family abuse. According to the psychoanalytic view of the syndrome the tendency might well be the result of employing the strategy evolved by newborn babies to form an emotional attachment to the nearest powerful adult in order to maximize the probability that this adult will enable - at the very least - the survival of the child, if not also prove to be a good parental figure. This syndrome is considered a prime example for the defense mechanism of identification it should be taken into account that according to Namnyak ea. (2008) the Stockholm Syndrome is not a recognized medical heading CMe SHJ. My middle son has Stockholm Syndrome and also my oldest daughter. My son has a severe case; my daughter's comes and goes. My son has taken on the role as the oppressor. My son is 46 years old but psychologically and emotionally he's ten years old. At ten years of age his father and my ex-husband would victimize me in front of my children. My son began at 13 to victimize his two younger sisters. My son saw his dad, my ex-husband use alcohol as an excuse to victimize me so to this day my son uses alcohol in the same way. I was not able to get help for my children because after the divorce my children chose to live with their dad and his new wife. I hot help for myself. Psychotherapy takes a lot of time and it is 100% effective. So, if anyone out there is having problems with family members suffering from Stockholm Syndrome get help for them if it is possible but by all means get help for yourself.

God Bless - Until next time.

No comments: